Monday 5 January 2009

my skin was white

Photobucket


born and bred in Africa
a child who wished no shoes
i grew strong beneath her sun
i slept beneath her moon
i walked her earth
and breathed her air
i knew no other land
and i grew up and tall
and loved my land
and all her people
i was African
my skin was white

i felt the beat of nationhood
i knew the love of country
i carried the white man's burden
the guilt of more in a land of less
the guilt of separation
the division of our nation
the guilt of attitude
the white man's sin of arrogance
towards the others
his brothers in the land
i was African
my skin was white

freedom came
and it was good
no longer need to feel
the white man's burden
the guilt was lifted
from my shoulders
to see the young together
growing, they wish no shoes
they see no colour in your face
they share the land, at last together
i am African
what colour is my skin
All materials Copyright © 2004-2008 by Eryll Oellermann

No comments:

Post a Comment