Friday 1 May 2009

parrot pellets







tomorrow is parrot pellet day
i need to awake at an early hour
parcelforce waits for no man
seven minutes absence in 48 hours
seven minutes and they are come
and gone with unseemly speed
and the small smurf bird
ugly as a small vulture
with unfinished feathers
and raptor eyes needs weaning
fruit and veg and seed
are not enough for thoroughly
domesticated and ultimately
absolute vegetarians
pellets are required
and i must be there to collect
i need to sleep tonight
but the muse is once more
abroad and wily demands
my full and conscious attention
i say the muse because she, my muse
ignores me now in precious ways
were i sheit on her shoe
i would receive more attention
than this poor poet in pain
no matter even in her ignoring
i find my inspiration
for she it was who taught me
tales of my genius with words
she rubbed like warm oil
slick and soft against my skin
until i believed not only in my craft
but in her everlasting love
which i believe in still
i have no god but my belief in us
in our destiny together
but small blue parrots busy weaning
require my presence to collect
parrot pellet parcels
in the morning


All materials Copyright © 2004-2009 by Eryll Oellermann

No comments:

Post a Comment