Tuesday 30 August 2011

not red

the bus was late
eighteen fourteen the timetable said
i know better
i was there for six, waiting
for eighteen fourteen
until six twenty
when i flashed my bus pass
like a pro

i hate red
except for raspberry
who knew it had a p in it
me, i suppose
a long, long time ago
before i started
forgetting how to spell
simple everyday words

the rain jacket is raspberry
not red
she lent it to me
and i kept it
to keep me dry in a very wet summer
my feet clad in walking boots
guaranteed water proof
just in case

prepare for rain
and the sun will shine
eighteen forty five and i wait
at the somewhat less than salubrious
ayr bus terminal
at eighteen fifty five
which is as near as damnit to seven
i call her

she is on her way
just passed some church or chapel
i resign myself
i was born far from this place
the town and it's geography
continue to bemuse me
i hunch my shoulders
inside the raspberry jacket


Copyright © 2011 by Eryll Oellermann

No comments:

Post a Comment